Your favorite recipe follows:
- 4 potatoes (medium)
- 2 bunches fenugreek leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds (rai)
- 1/4 teaspoon fenugreek seeds (methi dana)
- 3 tablespoon mustard oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon red chili powder
- Wash and chiffonade fenugreek leaves and tender stems. Discard the thick stems, if any.
- Peel and dice potatoes and keep aside.
- In a heavy-bottom pan, preferably non-stick pan, heat mustard oil to smoking point.
- Reduce heat, put fenugreek seeds and then mustard seeds in the pan. Let the mustard seeds splutter.
- Add the diced potatoes, fenugreek leaves, salt and red chili powder.
- Cook on medium flame, stirring frequently in between.
- Take it off the flames when potatoes get tender.
- Baby potatoes or potatoes with thin white skin are great for this dish. Just wash and dice them without peeling. The thin skin is nutritious and cooks easily with potatoes.
- Any cooking oil can be substituted for mustard oil.
- Frozen fenugreek can be used in the recipe. Just thaw and use in place of fresh leaves.
- If you want to offset the slightly bitter taste of fenugreek, you can add ½ teaspoon of dry mango powder (amchur) to the sabzi when it is almost cooked . Make sure to mix it well.
Feedback: Aloo Methi